Dan Dan Noodles, also Dandanmian is an easy and a quick option for irregular hunger pangs. It originates from Chinese Sichuan Cuisine and is a street snack which was named after bamboo poles which were probably used to deliver the snack. This shows that it’s been around since ages! Though Dan Dan Noodles can also settle an amount of minced meat in it, this recipe is pure vegetarian.
Dan Dan Noodles Recipe With Ingredients and Directions:
Source: Chinese Cooking Demystified
- Wheat noodles 500 Gms
- Cabbage 250 Gms
- Soya sauce 100 Ml
- Chinese Sesame Paste 50 Gms
- Sesame Oil 250 Ml
- Peanut Oil 50 Gms
- Spring Onions 25 Gms
- Bean Sprouts 50 Gms
- Chilli Oil with Chilli Sediment 75 Ml
- First of all, set the noodles in the boiling water until they are tender, but do not make them soft.
- Add the cabbage for just a while so that it withers a bit. Remove it and place it aside.
- During that, make the sesame paste thinner with sesame oil and turn the sprouts and scallions into julienne.
- Set the condiments such as salt and ketchup at the bottom of a clean serving bowl and stack the noodles and veggies on top of them.
- Season it with pepper and salt or herbs of your choice. Mix it up and serve.
- You can also use red and green chilies to make a spicier version of the Dan Dan Noodles
- If you want to make it more proteinaceous, adding minced meat is optional